Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Consensus paper Neuromodulation chronic pain, Zorg instituut Nederland. 14 November 2019, 9 February 2022 2019:271–303.
- GRADE guidelines: 1. Introduction—GRADE evidence profiles and summary of findings tables.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 383-394https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2010.04.026
- Persistent spinal pain syndrome: a proposal for failed back surgery syndrome and ICD-11.Pain Med. 2021; 22: 807-818https://doi.org/10.1093/pm/pnab015
- “Evidence-based interventional pain medicine according to clinical diagnoses”: update 2018.Pain Pract. 2019; 19: 664-675https://doi.org/10.1111/papr.12786
NVA/NVR. Guideline Complex Regional Pain Syndrome type 1. 2014; Startpagina - Pijnlijke diabetische neuropathie - Richtlijn - Richtlijnendatabase. Complex_Regionaal_Pijn_Syndroom_type_1(1).pdf
NIV. Guideline for Painful Diabetic Neuropathy 2017; Startpagina - Pijnlijke diabetische neuropathie - Richtlijn - Richtlijnendatabase. Pijnlijke_diabetische_neuropathie_PDNP_ (1).pdf
- Stimulation of the L2–L3 dorsal root ganglia induces effective pain relief in the low back.Pain Pract. 2018; 18: 205-213https://doi.org/10.1111/papr.12591
- The effects of spinal cord stimulation in neuropathic pain are sustained: a 24-month follow-up of the prospective randomized controlled multicenter trial of the effectiveness of spinal cord stimulation.Neurosurgery. 2008; 63 ([discussion 770].): 762-770
- Spinal cord stimulation versus conventional medical management for neuropathic pain: a multicentre randomised controlled trial in patients with failed back surgery syndrome.Pain. 2007; 132: 179-188https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2007.07.028
- Spinal cord stimulation for the treatment of failed neck surgery syndrome: outcome of a prospective case series.Neuromodulation. 2018; 21: 495-503https://doi.org/10.1111/ner.12769
- Burst spinal cord stimulation in a patient with complex regional pain syndrome: a 2-year follow-up.Pain Pract. 2015; 15: E59-E64https://doi.org/10.1111/papr.12295
- Dorsal root ganglion stimulation yielded higher treatment success rate for complex regional pain syndrome and causalgia at 3 and 12 months: a randomized comparative trial.Pain. 2017; 158: 669-681https://doi.org/10.1097/j.pain.0000000000000814
- Spinal cord stimulation and pain relief in painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy: a prospective two-center randomized controlled trial.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 3016-3024https://doi.org/10.2337/dc14-0684
- Spinal cord stimulation.Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2019; 30: 169-194https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nec.2018.12.003
- Appropriate referral and selection of patients with chronic pain for spinal cord stimulation: European consensus recommendations and e-health tool.Eur J Pain. 2020; 24: 1169-1181https://doi.org/10.1002/ejp.1562
- Neuromodulation: the “not-so-hidden” cure for the opioid crisis.Neuromodulation. 2017; 20: 519-524https://doi.org/10.1111/ner.12646
- Spinal cord stimulation in treatment of chronic benign pain: challenges in treatment planning and present status, a 22-year experience.Neurosurgery. 2006; 58 ([discussion 481–496].): 481-496
- Spinal cord stimulation as treatment for complex regional pain syndrome should be considered earlier than last resort therapy.Neuromodulation. 2013; 16: 125-141https://doi.org/10.1111/ner.12035
- A systematic review of the cost-utility of spinal cord stimulation for persistent low back pain in patients with failed back surgery syndrome.Glob Spine J. 2021; 11: 66S-72Shttps://doi.org/10.1177/2192568220970163
- Economic evaluation of spinal cord stimulation for chronic reflex sympathetic dystrophy.Neurology. 2002; 59: 1203-1209https://doi.org/10.1212/01.wnl.0000028686.74056.e3
- The cost effectiveness of spinal cord stimulation in the treatment of pain: a systematic review of the literature.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2004; 27: 370-378https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2003.09.009
- Spinal cord stimulation for chronic pain of neuropathic or ischaemic origin: systematic review and economic evaluation.Health Technol Assess. 2009; 13 (iii, ix–x, 1–154)
- Impact of the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidance on medical technology uptake: analysis of the uptake of spinal cord stimulation in England 2008–2012.BMJ Open. 2014; 4e004182https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2013-004182
- International Neuromodulation Society critical assessment: guideline review of implantable neurostimulation devices.Neuromodulation. 2014; 17 ([discussion 685].): 678-685
Source(s) of financial support: The authors reported no funding sources.
Conflict of Interest: Caro T.M. Edelbroek reports a relationship with Boston Scientific Corp that includes consulting or advisory, a relationship with Saluda Medical that includes consulting or advisory, a relationship with Nevro Corp that includes consulting or advisory, and a relationship with Medtronic that includes consulting or advisory. The remaining authors reported no conflict of interest.